Saturday, December 24, 2011

Do most wireless routers have wired connections as well?

Question by Kyle M: Do most wireless routers have wired connections as well?
I’m going to be buying a laptop next month for my birthday, and I want to buy a wireless router for my apartment. I have my desktop, however, which just connects via standard ethernet card. Would most wireless routers have a direct, wired ethernet connection as well, or will I need some additional hardware?

Best answer:

Answer by bostonianinmo
Virtually all wireless routers have one or more Ethernet ports on the LAN side to connect a wired machine to. In fact, most have an integrated 4 port switch so you can connect up to 4 wired devices and if you need more than that, one of the wired devices can be another switch so you can connect many more devices to a single router. The only additional hardware you’ll need is a patch cord to connect the desktop machine to the router.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment