Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Why did my download speed drop when I added a wifi range extender?

Question by The Ultimate Dude: Why did my download speed drop when I added a wifi range extender?
I have a netgear rangemax wifi router set up in my house. Well, I could only get 2 or 3 bars of signal strength with the rangemax alone on my PS3 and Laptop. So I purchased the Hawkings Wifi Extender for $ 44 of of Amazon. I went to speedtest.net and it said my download speed dropped almost half of what it was. I am paying for 25mb download and 5mb upload from Cox. Before added the extender I was getting 14 to 15mb download at speedtest.net. Now I get only 7 or 8mb. My upload speed is actually rating at close to 6, which is odd because it is only supposed to be 5mb.

Would I be better off just returning the repeater? Or is it better to have a stronger signal with slower download speed? Is there a way to fix it?

Best answer:

Answer by Chris
Better speed with lower signal is better than strong signal and slow speed.

What do you think? Answer below!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment